Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Eggless Molten Lava Cake- Especially for you my dear sis!

My sister recently got engaged to be married, and the wedding takes place in January. I asked her a few days ago if she wanted anything and immediately came the reply, "Yes, I want a dessert platter from you." And, she especially requested for Molten Lava Cakes.


I will certainly make her a dessert platter when I am in India - but for the time being, I wanted to give her a virtual treat with the recipe for her favourite cake. As it happened...I got busy talking on the phone, forgot about the cakes and baked them a bit too long (around 20 rather than the optional 12 mins). Hence they were a little stiff inside, as in this photo below, even though the taste was perfect.


I felt a little bad that because of my carelessness the cakes did not turn out as my sis would have loved them to be - although the taste was great, they were not as gooey and molten on the inside as they should have been. So, of course, I decided to bake another lot, and this time my eyes were fixed on the watch and exactly after 12 minutes, I took the cakes out of the oven, clicked the photos and also tasted it. I was very happy with the result this time, and I hope my sister likes them too, at least virtually!


I made the cake according to my sister's taste and therefore have used chocolate with 50 % cocoa. Personally, I would have used darker chocolate. Feel free to use the chocolate of your choice.

Do you have any other wishes, dear Sis? I'd be more than happy to fulfill them :-)


Ingredients for 3 cakes 


50 grams - 50% chocolate
6 tbsp - water
30 grams - butter
30 grams - whole wheat flour (aata)
10 grams - castor sugar
1/2 tsp - baking powder
a pinch of salt
60 grams - 
50% chocolate for the molten part, divided into 3 parts of 20g each. 

Method

  1. Melt the 50g chocolate in a double boiler. 
  2. Remove the chocolate from the heat. Let it cool for a couple of minutes. Add the water and butter. Put it back on the double boiler and keep mixing until the butter melts. 
  3. Remove from the heat and let it cool for 3-4 mins. Meanwhile, put the flour, baking powder, salt and castor sugar in a bowl and mix. 
  4. Add the flour mixture spoon wise to the chocolate mixture, and mix well before adding the next spoonful. 
  5. Pour the batter into a greased mould, filling half the mould, place the 20 gram chocolate piece in the center and pour a little more batter over it until the chocolate piece is covered. 
  6. Place the moulds in the center of the oven preheated to 180 degrees C and bake for around 12 minutes for a yummy lovely gooey inside (and 20 minutes for a little stiff inside or if you are as forgetful as I am!). 
  7. Unmould and sprinkle a little castor sugar on the cakes. 
  8. Serve warm with icecream, fruits, whipped cream or as it is. It tastes simply awesome.


Enjoy!

43 comments:

  1. Wow! Your sis is very lucky. This dessert is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks absolutely divine..yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your sis....lovely presentation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a caring sis you are Rachana!! And Congrats to your sister on her engagement and wedding.
    The cake looks absolutely mouth watering, delicious..
    Have a wonderful week ahead Rachana:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many congrats to your sister on her engagement. The Molten Lava Cake looks simply delicious and heavenly.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lucky is your sis! Truly tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to your sister... thanks for the recipe :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to your sister....mouthwatering cake....looks superb and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is soooo touchy.... Thank u so much my dear Sis.... Yes, its a great virtual treat.... yummy yummy yummy...Just waiting for u to come here soon... Missing u loads...
    Amazing clicks n super amazing cake...
    a big list of wish is on its way... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's an awesome eggless cake. Lava cake is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. superb!! i m sure to try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey this is soo yummmyyyy ..... anything with chocolates melt my heart ....Really looking forward to one of it when you are here....:) Puja is Super lucky no wonder for this one..:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so yummy...I want to try this one...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I happen to be a great fan of molten cakes..looks perfectly yummy:)

    Taste of Saras Kitchen
    http://bsaraswathy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww congrats to your sister! I can definitely see why she requested these. Chocolate heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  16. my all time favourite cake ..looks tempting and congrats to your sister as well..

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cake looks decadent, Rachna. I have'nt tried Molten Lava Cakes before and this eggless version sounds great to me. I have bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That does look very very good! I think I would go for dark chocolate too. Congrats to your sister for her engagement and for having someone like you to fulfill her wishes.:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks so very delicious.... Your sis is really lucky :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. my goodness...look at the gooey chocolate..bookmarked..

    Convey my wishes to your sis

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks perfect chocolate lovers treat.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Many Congrats to your sis! and what a delicious way to celebrate! I had tried one such recipe after watching Master Chef India and was somewhat generous with the chocolate for the lava.. My cake ended up with too much lava and yet was delicious but not presentable... Will give this a try for sure with 50% cocoa only as I am not really a dark choc fan!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats to ur sis,wishing here so many beautiful things,incredible molten lava cake looks absolutely sinful..

    ReplyDelete
  24. First time here.. You have a beautiful blog with amazing recipes.. The lave cake looks perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful dessert, and congratulations to your sister!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think this gooeyness and texture is just perfect for me, I'm sure your sister should have enjoyed this virtual treat.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ahhhhhhhhhh, molten lava cakes are to die for!!!!!!
    It's a pity I've never tried making one! Now I must!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, I've never made a molten cake before, but I'm intrigued. And you made it eggless which is even more intriguing. Great pictures. I'm a sucker for chocolate. New to your blog and happy I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  29. mouth watering !!!! thnkx for the post n pic
    Do drop in my site also whe u get time http://aromatickitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. une pure gourmandise, difficile d'y résister
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  31. omy..you are amazingly talented rachana...excellent pics..:)
    my hearties wishes for your loving sis..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  32. Mouthwatering cake.looks so soft n spongy.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cake looks soft, spongy, yummy and tempting. Wonderful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow that's a delicious treat for ur sister..even few months ago when i went for my sisters wedding to India,she asked me to prepare a dessert for her when she comes for her first visit after marriage :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. looks beautiful,pics are as usual stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Even my sis is getting married in Jan :) ,cake looks delicious,..

    ReplyDelete
  37. Amazin......and yummy!!!!I just love chocolate in everythng!!!! And i ws searchin the recipe to bake it myself fr my brother....thanks a lot:):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  38. It turned out amazing...everyone who eats it falls in love...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails