1 1/2 cup - all purpose flour
2/3 cup - sugar
2/3 cup - sunflower oil
1/2 cup - vanilla yogurt
1 cup - milk
1 1/2 tsp - vanilla essence
1 tsp - baking powder
a pinch of salt
a generous pinch of soda bicarbonate
1/4 cup - water
1/8 tsp - vanilla extract powder
1 tsp - castor sugar
Mix everything together.
For the whipped cream
150 ml - cream, minimum 30 % fat
3 tbsp heaped - castor sugar
1/4 tsp - vanilla extract powder
Beat everything together till thick
For the topping
50 grams - marzipan
1 tbsp - castor sugar
a few drops of milk
Mix everything together and knead until you get a smooth dough, roll out into a 15 cm diameter circle. You can roll it out within sheets of clingfilm or wax paper to make the rolling easier.
For the rose
25 gram - marzipan
1 tsp - sugar
a few drops of milk
a pinch of edible red colour
Mix together all these ingredients and follow this video here
edible glitter to sprinkle over the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line two 15 cms round baking pans with aluminium foil and grease generously with oil.
- In a bowl,mix together the flour, salt, sugar,baking powder and soda bicarbonate.
- In another bowl, mix well the oil, vanilla yogurt, vanilla essence and milk.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mix and tip in the liquid ingredients and mix lightly.
- Divide the mixture into the two lined and greased pans, tap the pans against the counter and place both the pans in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for a couple of minutes before inverting them on the wire rack to cool completely
- Once the cakes have cooled down completely, place one cake on the cake board and brush the top and the sides of the cake with the syrup. Place the whipped cream in the centre and spread out evenly over the cake. Place the 2nd cake on the top of the cream, brush the top and the sides with the syrup and carefully spread the cream on the sides of both the cakes.
- Place the marzipan circle on the top of the cake.
- Brush the bottom of the marzipan roses with the syrup and place on the cake and sprinkle some eddible glitter all over the cake.
1. If you do not have 2 same sized baking pans then halve the ingredients for the cake and make the batter twice. Do not make it all together.
2. You may need a very little of the soaking syrup. Discard the rest of the syrup. Do not brush the cake excessively with the syrup otherwise the cake will turn soggy.
I am going to India for a month. Wishing all my lovely readers a very happy new year :-)