Of course, there are a lot of activities which certainly help in keeping the balance – we went tobogganing and it was great fun, and very very tiring. We certainly selected a very good day for it, it was not too cold but snowing and fresh snow is not too bad at all. The scenic beauty was breathtaking, the fresh snow and the sledding, it was a great day.
By the end of the day, we were all kaput and really enjoyed a generous helping of a cake and hot cocoa on the way back.
Today's recipe Green Peppercorn and Capers Bread was baked a week ago - we had it with the Pineapple Soup. The idea came spontaneously, especially as I had not baked fresh bread for quite some time, and was also an attempt to use some leftover green peppercorns and capers. I also used a new kind of flour- grapeseed flour. It's supposed to be really healthy and it gave a very nice nutty texture to the bread. I am planning to experiment a bit with this flour in future. The pepper and capers flavours went very well with the Hot and Spicy Pineapple Soup…hope you enjoy it as well!
210 grams - whole wheat flour + to dust the work top
15 grams - grapeseed flour
1/2 tsp - salt
1/2 tsp - baking powder
1 tsp - bicarbonate of soda
4 tbsp - olive oil
25 grams - capers
5 grams - green peppercorns (more or less)
1 1/2 tsp - dried italian herbs
100 ml - low fat yogurt
200 ml - water at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix together the flours, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, dried italian herbs, capers and green peppercorns.
- In another bowl, mix together the olive oil, yogurt and water.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add in the liquid mixture and mix lightly with a wooden spatula so that everything just comes together.
- Generously dust the work top with some whole wheat flour.
- Gather the dough into a ball on the floured work top and with floured hand flatten the ball and try and give a round shape.
- Using a sharp and floured knife slit the dough. Don't push down into the dough.
- Transfer the dough to the lined baking tray and place the tray in the centre of the preheated oven. Bake for approximately 30 - 35 minutes.
- Serve with Hot and Spicy Pineapple Soup or with any other soup of your choice.